Wednesday, May 1, 2013

There is no credential war

First let me say that I appreciate the comments that have been made, both publicly and privately, concerning my post of late last evening.  It has been lively and enlightening, to say the least.

But, I do want to make one thing abundantly clear, that there was absolutely no intention of pitting the two credentialing programs against each other.  None whatsoever.  I don't work that way.  I am a builder and a lifter, not one who tears down.

A few have made the comment that I must not make an assumption of an entire organization based on the actions of one or a few.  Ummm...I'm a Mormon.  I have dealt with this all of my life.  How many times have the actions of a polygamous community been confused with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and its teachings?  Or a political candidate representing all Mormons?  (That was certainly a hotbed!  I felt like I was constantly putting out fires during the election.)  Or the mainstream news organizations consistently tagging "Mormon" bank robber, or "Mormon" thief, or "Mormon" whatever...instead of just dropping the "Mormon" off completely.

I believe that for me and what I do, maintaining my AG and all of the requirements that go along with it are fine for me.  And, not for one moment am I basing one as being superior over the other.
Both bring us as genealogists to a higher level of polishing our skills and helping us to learn things we didn't know we didn't know.

So, to all of my genealogy friends, rest assured that there is no problem.  As a matter of fact, the individual that made the remarks still has my respect, for their skills are sorely needed in the professional genealogy world.  I will not publicly name the individual to maintain the respect that has been so earned.

Again, I don't work that way.



No comments:

Post a Comment