Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Communtcating Without Talking

I have no outlandish stories to tell about my flight from Seattle to Nashville. 

But, I did have a first.

Because of the tenderness that is still present with my shoulder, I am allowed to pre-board. My doctor wants me to wear the sling as needed, but particularly when I fly. It gives a visual signal, especially if I need help.

As I am sitting up against the window with a stuffed cow under my arm for support, a kind looking tiny Asian lady asked by motioning to me that she would like to sit by me.

Of course.!

Now, I am not profiling...I am just giving the scenario.

We both took lots of photos out my window. I showed her when Mt. Ranier came up, and then soon we had the three mountains perfectly framed in the window.

We saw lakes, and rivers, and more mountains. Cloud formations were spectacular as well approached Nashville. The city lights there put off the most beautiful glow from the air.

Now, why am I telling you this?

Because she couldn't speak a word of English. And, I didn't know a single word of her native language.

But, we spent 3 1/2 hours in the air communicating with each other as we gazed upon the beauties of the earth.

Perhaps there was a lesson there for those of us who do speak the same language.



2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post. Words are not always needed. More can be said spirit to spirit. Thank You for that reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, that is so true. I will never forget that flight. We opened up our tablets and showed each other pictures of our children and our grandchildren. We can ooh and aah in any language. It was one of the most tender experiences I've ever had.

      Delete