Tuesday, April 17, 2018

She Left Us Too Soon - Gay Nickle Lauritzen Appleberry


Though she is no longer with us, today we honor and celebrate the birthday of Kerry's sister, Gay.

Kerry and his sisters, Joy and Gay, were the "middle kids", and they always played together. He will often fondly recall something the three of them did as young children, and often with a tear in his eye.

She quickly made me feel at home as a new member of the family, taking me on wild rides through the Sanpete Valley of Utah in her green convertible. And, she made the best cinnamon rolls I've ever tasted in my life.

She was an artist extraodinairre, with two of the most gifted hands I've ever witnessed. She worked as a set director for several Hollywood movies, and for LDS films.

And, she also was diagnosed with ALS.

She passed away nearly 18 years ago, her body ravaged from the disease. It was so difficult for her large family to say their goodbyes...wanting her to be well, yet wanting her released from her misery.

Gay was one year younger than me. I didn't have her in my life long enough, but she was there long enough to make a difference.

Gay, your family misses you so much. We honor you today, and can't wait to see you again!









2 comments:

  1. I knew Gay at BYU, and she loved life and brought new ideas and interesting conversation everywhere she went. I knew she would go on to do lovely things in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirsten, how kind of you. She was just so much fun, and was one of the most talented people I've ever known.

      Delete